This is going to be a challenge, Protar isn’t very known for their sophisticated kits and on top of that, this kit is already started and in a poor condition.

f312b2001

I had to de-assemble the cockpit and engine, after that, I had to get rid of the terrible paintjob. Including the missed prep-work, all the sprue attachments were still there.

This is how the assembled cockpit looked like.

f312b2002
Most of it was glued with superglue

f312b2003

f312b2004

The engine didn’t look much better.

f312b2005

Most horrible are those things on top of the intake-funnels.

f312b2006

f312b2007

I took a brave breath and started to dissasemble, which proofed difficult with all the superglue

f312b2008

Same story with the engine

f312b2009

And a giant leap in time to yesterday, after I finished a couple of projects, I could start on this project. This is part of a bulkhead, which lost the battle to superglue and needs to be restored. On the right is how it originally looked.

f312b2010

f312b2011

The shocks and rockerarms were poorly done as well, I took everything apart and gave them a bleechbath, they are still in the bleech, the chrome is very stubborn

f312b2012

f312b2013

The panel behind the cockpit; was also in bad shape, they just glued it on, with a lot of sinkmarks, didn’t look pretty at all.

f312b2014

Bottem of cockpit, notice all that superglue

f312b2015

And a dry-fit, which proofed very usefull. The fit is very bad and a lot of shaving needs to be done to get it to fit nicely.

f312b2016

I managed to get all the bodyparts that needs to go in red, in primer. By the time you read this, they will be painted in Scuderia Red.

f312b2017

And we struggle further. I have been working mostly on the engine and the bodypanels, especially the engine needs a lot of work to get cleaned up, getting complete and rebuild again. So far I am still in the process of getting all the parts sanded and ready for some paint.

Shown vaguely here are the parts coming from the engine. The covers for the valvecovers were too bad, so I am going to replace them with new ones.

f312b2018

f312b2019

Basically all these parts, except the exhaust, will be discarded and replaced, they are just too badly damaged.

f312b2020

And a jump to the bodypanels. I airbrushed them with Scuderia Red and then 2K glossed them. After it dried, I applied the dry-transfers. Which was a living nightmare, the dry-transfer bit wasn’t working no more, so I had to find an alternative to get them on.

f312b2021

The sidepanels.

f312b2022

And all the parts done with detailling, I decided not to clearcoat the decals, I figured they didn’t do that in those either. So it is shiny bodywork with silk-matt decals.

f312b2023

A last picture of the cockpit-cowling

f312b2024

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.